7.15.2014

Eclectic Electric Lady

You shock it, shake it, baby.
Electric Lady, you're a star.
You've got a classic kinda crazy,
but you know just who you are.
                                                                           Janelle Monáe


I first caught a glimpse of Janelle Monáe briefly on an episode of P. Diddy's "Making the Band", when the aspiring group members for Diddy's upcoming band had to cater to the unknown star and her band.  Immediately I was drawn to her appearance: her natural hair and black and white tuxedo.

I purchased a ticket to see her perform at the House of Blues in Anaheim, California in early 2014. Of course, me being the die hard fan I am I had to go in style; in black and white. I decided to wear her latest look: a short sleeve white shirt, black suspenders, black leather  fingerless gloves, white pants accented with multiple chains cascading down one leg,  and black boots.  All that was missing was the black and white varsity jacket she wears with this ensemble. I couldn't afford to buy one at the time,  luckily I don't believe in throwing clothes away anymore, so I had pieces of clothing lying around. Two of these pieces were a leather vest and large white sweatshirt, just the items I would need to make a black and white jacket. The assembly was rather easy since all that needed to be done was the removal of  the sleeves from the sweatshirt and sew them onto the leather vest. A very quick and painless task that was done in minutes. Thus I was all set to go see my favorite artist in full attire. 



After several encore performances the concert was done all too soon and the lights went up. As people began to head for the exits many were shocked to see how accurate my outfit was to what she was wearing that night. (Yes I had done my research). I even posted the picture on my Instagram and got a surprising "Like" by Ms. Monáe herself.



Even if it makes others uncomfortable, I will love who I am. 


                                                                                                                    -Janelle Monáe



No comments:

Post a Comment