7.14.2014

Fringe Benefits





"Hold It Don't Drop It" is my favorite song recorded by Jennifer Lopez. In the music video, Lopez is singing and dancing with a microphone stand in a white room while standing on a podium with three male back-up dancers behind her.  She is wearing a white hooded halter dress topped with lots of white fringe. When I first saw this video in 2008 I wanted this dress, but I didn't know who the designer was. In May 2014 while shopping in my favorite thrift store when I came across a rack of XL white tees. I grabbed all of them, after all they were only 99 cents each with 25% off my total purchase, and decided to recreate this fabulous dress. 

I bought 6 t-shirts: 1 was used to make the dress form (the halter top and the body of the dress), the 2nd shirt I used the bottom to make the oversized hood and the top of the tee I used to create a row of fringe. The rest of the shirts were used to recreate the fringe effect all over the bottom half of the dress. Each shirt made 2 long rows of fringe, which I overlapped slightly on top of each other while sewing the layers onto the dress. 







I finished this dress just in time for my local hotspot's White Party and received so many compliments on this dress.  No one believed it was creating solely out of shirts. That night I can truly say I danced the night away twirling around on the dance floor in layers of fringe and channeled my inner Tina Turner. 




No comments:

Post a Comment